Friday, November 19, 2010



Hey gang, it took me a while but here is footage from my last excursion. This time my school went to Miyajima Island and Hiroshima. Due to the amount of footage I took, I am going to split these two places into two videos. Look forward to Hiroshima coming soon.

Miyajima Island is best known for the iconic gateway that rests off its shores. During high tide, the gateway looks like it is floating on the surface of the water (or at least rises above it). When the tide is low, people can walk up to the gateway and touch its old wooden frame(I fell into this category). It is massive and truly a site to behold. Up close, one will find coins placed up against the bottom of the structure. I assume people place them here for good luck, hoping that the tide will carry away their wishes. Honestly I don't know.

Also at Miyajima Island is an ancient shrine that is open to the public. It is located on the shore so it also looks like it is on the water when the tide has risen. I should note though, the water is pretty shallow in these regions. The most impressive view of these monuments is when the tide has risen to its full capacity. I sadly have no footage of that.

It was a blast being on Miyajima Island. I enjoyed the Japanese architecture as well as the nature that surrounded me. It made for a relaxing break from the hustle and bustle of city life. I definitely want to experience more nature before I leave.

Oyasumi (good night),

Tristan

3 comments:

  1. Did you eat Okonomiyaki and Momiji-manjyu in Hiroshima?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool man. I'm looking forward to the Hiroshima footage :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kyoko, no I don't believe I did. Sadly I was only in Hiroshima for a few hours. Are those dishes good there?

    Thanks Jason, it encourages me to make more videos when people say they like them. I will try to get Hiroshima out as soon as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete